Change.
Last year I made a bold decision to resign from a secure and
stable job to take a much-earned break before searching for my next new
challenge.
It was not an easy decision to risk the security of a
full-time job, with colleagues whom I respect and admire deeply and leave a company
that has given me countless opportunities to grow and develop professionally without
another role lined up.
However, after much introspection and 8 years of giving my
all to the job, the company, and everyone around me, I realised that the only person I was neglecting was myself. Change needed
to happen.
Change is scary... there is always the thought of "what if it doesn't work out? What if this is the worse decision of my life? What if this is the biggest regret I'll remember?" Yes, change is scary. The uncertain path and unpredictable future seems to hold many people back. But change is not necessarily a bad thing. Regret is a bad thing and people rarely regret things that they've done, only things that they haven't done. And if I didn't take this step today, I will forever regret not taking the step and wondering what would've happened "if only I had...."
It had always brought me a great sense of pride to be able
to identify and develop potential future leaders in a company. To see these
future leaders progress and grow in their career, knowing that I might have
helped play a tiny part in their growth is a feeling like no other.
And so I worked hard to chase this feeling. I didn't want to regret not giving it a go. It was important that my next job had to feel 100% right. I forced myself not to jump into just any other role, something that was more difficult than it seems when consider the situation that I was in.
I am single, I have no kids but I have a mortgage and bills to pay. I have elderly parents that I financially support. I have university fees to pay. A girl needs to live.... and I have nobody to rely on but myself. It was not an easy decision to quit, and it was certainly not an easy decision to be super selective about my next role, but I am fortunately privileged enough to be able to make such choices.
And I do not regret it. Not one single ounce.
I have worked hard to build the career that I have and the life that I lead. And I have finally found the next logical and suitable role for me. One that will enable me to further grow and lead, as well as grow the future leaders of our world. I am proud of my achievements. And I am proud of my choices.
I'm glad I made that choice last year. I needed to and I needed it.
Now, I am beyond thrilled at the next challenge that I am faced with and I have my sleeves rolled up, ready to tackle whatever comes my way!
0 comments :
Post a Comment